MRI RESULTS

MRI RESULTS

Postby ICANTTAKETHEPAIN » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:46 am

CAN SOMEONE TRANSLATE THE MRI REPORT FOR ME. INTO ENGLISH. I KNOW THEY WILL TRY FRIDAY. BUT I NEED TO EXPLAIN TO THEM, I CANT STAND AND DO DISHES FOR 15 MIN. AND I FEEL LIKE MY BACK IS GONNA SNAP IN HALF. I CANT SIT AND PLAY A GAME JUST ABOVE A TAIL BONE HURTS SO BAD I WANT TO CUT IT OFF. THE SOUTH DONT GIVE PAIN MEDS AND I RESPECT THAT. DONT GET ME WRONG I WASNT A DRUGGIE. BEFORE I LEFT DOC WOULD GIVE ME 20 PERCS I AM ALLOWED FOUR A DAY. AND BELIEVE ME I NEEDED 4 A DAY. BUT I ALSO NEEDED 2 CHILDREN THAT NEEDED A MOTHER. I PUT MY FEET ABOVE THE BACK TO TAKE A LIL PRESSURE OFF AND A LOT AND I MEAN A LOT OF ICE. AND FOR 2 YEARS I SLEPT A LOT. THAT WAS MY ESCAPT. I AM HOPING THAT NOW THAT I HAVE AN OLDER DAUGHTER, AND DOWN IN FLORIDA, AND I AM NOT DRIVING, I AM GOING TO A PAIN CLINIC,I CANNOT TAKE THIS PAIN NO MORE. I MOVED TO FLORIDA TO BE WITH MY BEST FRIEND AND HAVE FUN WITH HER AND MY DAUGHTER. HOW CAN YOU WHEN AFTER WALKING ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS CRY AND SAY HOW SORRY YOU ARE TO YOUR DAUGHTER. ALL FROM A CAR ACCIDENT. BEING BEAT UP BY MY OLDER DAUGHTER, A BUNCH OF CRAP, AND WHEN I DIDNT FEEL GOOD ABOUT MY SELF I DIDNT TAKE CARE OF MYSELF. BUT SINCE I GOT HERE I LOST 30 POUNDS. MY BACK IS INJURED FOR LIFE, AND MY MS IS ONLY GONNA MAKE IT WORSE. I WANT TO HAVE FUN WITH MY KIDS WHILE I CAN.
THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT. HERE IS THE SUMMARY.

EXAM: MRI OF LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT INTRAVENOUS CONTRAST

TECHNIQUE: Routine MRI protocol for lumbar spine without intravenous
contrast administration.

HISTORY: Acute lumbosacral strain.

FINDINGS: There is maintained lumbar lordotic posture. Vertebral heights
are maintained without significant compression injury. Marrow signal
characteristics are normal without replacement process. No focal
spondylolysis nor significant spondylolisthesis is detected. Conus
terminates at inferior L1 level. Cauda equina is unremarkable in
appearance without abnormal clumping or tethering. There is mild diffuse
narrowing in AP diameter of central bony canal throughout the lumbar region
most compatible with mild congential shortening of pedicles.

At T12-L1 level, there is moderate disc height loss with degenerative disc
desiccation. Mild annular disc bulge is seen with posteriorly protruding
disc effacing the ventral thecal margin and contributing to minimal central
canal stenosis. Neural foramina bilaterally are widely patent.

At L1-2 level, there is mild disc height loss with mild posterior disc
extrusion which extends cephalad along the posterior inferior L1 vertebral
margin. Extruding disc extends eccentrically more to the right of midline
and focally indents the ventral thecal margin. Central canal is patent.
Neural foramina bilaterally are widely patent.
At L2-3, L3-4 and L4-5 disc levels, disc heights are maintained. Central
canal neural foramina bilaterally are widely patent.

At L5-S1 level, there is mild disc height loss with mild posterior disc
protrusion. Central canal remains patent. Facet rostrocaudal subluxation
contributes to mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

IMPRESSION:

1. Mild diffuse narrowing of central bony canal in the lumbar spine likely
secondary to congenital narrowing n AP diameter of pedicles.
2. Degenerative disc disease at T12-L1 and L1-2 levels. There is mild
central canal stenosis at T12-L1 level. There is mild posterior disc
extrusion at L1-2 level.
3. No significant neural foraminal stenosis detected on either side beyond
sequelae of facet rostrocaudal subluxation at L5-S1 level.
ICANTTAKETHEPAIN

Re: MRI RESULTS

Postby Doc » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:20 pm

As for your MRI report, you have two degenerated discs. One at L1-2 and the other at L5-S1. This means the discs have been damaged and this is the probable cause of your pain. You also have some minor foraminal stenosis at L5-S1 which means there "may" be some pressure on the L5 nerve as it leaves the spinal cord. I doubt this is an issue since you don't complain of leg pain. When someone complains of Low back or tailbone pain, it is often from degenerative disc disease. The discs fall apart and this increases the pressure on the outer annular fibers. These annular fibers are where the nerves are at and this cause a deep pain that people say is like their back is going to snap. Now what to do about it. There are numerous treatments for disc related pain but discs tend to be hard to treat. What I mean is that the success rate with any treatment is around 50 to 70% good to excellent or acheiving a 50% or greater improvement in pain. First a discogram would be performed to confirm that the pain is indeed from the discs. then the options include intradiscal injections which may include prolotherapy agents, methylene blue, or Ozone gas. These work around 60% and are usually permanent treatments. Another option is an endoscopic or conentional discectomy. These are considered the gold standard and offer a 70% success rate. Finally, fusions or artificial discs can be considered. These either remove the disc or fuse the bone to prevent motion that would cause the pain (i.e. if the disc isn't changing or moving then there shouldn't be pain). These fusion or artificial discs have a success rate for low back pain at around 50 to 70% good to excellent. Thus there are many options for your pain but none of them are perfect. I usually recommend starting with the least invasive and proceeding from there. Hope this helps.
Doc

Return to Back Pain